Don’t you love it when you unexpectedly find a treasure of a store not far from your home? We recently found one. It’s called the Videodrome and is one of the last non-sketchy movie rental stores out there, carrying a great selection of foreign, indie, and classic films. There are a ton of movies that Drew and I have wanted to watch that are not on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. Since we don’t want to pay $15+ to purchase the films or watch them illegally, we’ve been left with few options. If you’re an Atlantan, I’d highly encourage you to check the Videodrome out – and despite its musty smell, I think we’ll be regular customers.
I made this Asparagus, Pear, and Bacon Flatbread earlier this week and decided that it is one of those unusual dishes that just works. In the paraphrased words of Drew, “Normally things that are really unusual are just bad. But this is unlike anything I’ve actually eaten before and it is good.” It has a sweet taste from the honey-based sauce, but the salty bacon and mozzarella helps tone it down. It would make a great appetizer on its own or a filling entree when accompanied with a green salad. However you choose to enjoy it, just make sure that it involves a sunny porch during springtime and a bottle of white wine.
- • your favorite pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- • 1 tablespoon honey
- • 1 garlic clove, minced
- • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- • ¼ teaspoon horseradish
- • ½ pear, thinly sliced
- • ¼ cup asparagus, thinly sliced
- • 3 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- • ¼ cup shredded mozzarella or torn fresh mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, sesame oil, honey, garlic, poppy seeds, and horseradish. Stir throughly until combined.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the pizza dough. Place the pear, asparagus, and bacon on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until pizza appears done. Let cool a bit and slice into squares and eat.
Adapted from Munchin with Munchkin