Yesterday was an exciting day. I received a new lens (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, also known as the “plastic fantastic” for its inexpensive build but great image quality) and the ATK Vegetarian cookbook. I’ve been tinkering around with my new lens and am super excited for all its potential, though there definitely is a bit of a learning curve to it!
Today has been eventful, but in a totally different kind of way. Here some helpful background information: When I was a little kid, I went through a brief period where I was super afraid of getting stung by a bee and consequently refused to play outside in the summer. Finally my mom convinced me to go outside and (of course) I got stung by a bee. And then my little self decided it wasn’t nearly so bad as I had made it out to be in my head and I was no longer afraid of going outside. Well, it’s almost 20 years later, and I feel that maybe I’ve regressed a bit. This morning I saw a red wasp chilling on the wall by our coat closet. I went to go get a shoe to hit it and kill it, but it was gone. I felt paranoid the next few hours – would I accidentally step or sit on it? Then, as I was finally beginning to feel at ease in the midst of photographing this salad, the wasp came up behind me. Frightened, I scampered off to get my shoe and it was gone again. So I’ve still been a little paranoid and I may or may not have gone to Whole Foods to get a coffee and work on a legal research project safely away from the reaches of the wasp. The wasp is still on the large and I’m a little afraid, but I am ready with my shoe for when it makes its next appearance.
Any good stories of overcoming fear of insects? I’d love to hear them!
And before I forget, this is a delightful salad. Crunchy kale, protein-packed quinoa, salty feta, tangy balsamic vinaigrette? A great combination for a side salad or a whole meal!
- FOR THE SALAD:
- • 1 bunch of kale, torn into pieces (about 6 cups)
- • 1 cup of red grapes, sliced
- • 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- • ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil
- • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- • 1 tablespoon honey
- • ¼ tablespoon minced garlic
- • pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the kale, grapes, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, and minced garlic to create the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss so it fully coats the salad. If you realize after tossing it that you would prefer a higher dressing to salad ratio, pour an extra tablespoon of olive oil over the salad and toss again.