I have an exciting announcement: Drew and I have decided to follow a vegetarian diet for the next month. I know it’s ironic that I’m announcing this in a post for a poultry dish, but I photographed and ate this meal several days ago 😉 Why am I exploring a vegetarian diet? It’s something I’ve wanted to try for the past several months. I love how vegetarian meals inspire me to be a more creative home cook, save some money, and eat in a more environmentally sustainable manner. And I’m so grateful for Drew’s willingness to try this out with me.
What does this mean for Sweet Little Kitchen? Over the next month, I’ll still be bringing you healthy, unique meals a few times a week. The only difference is they won’t have any meat. I promise to only put tofu in some things.
Even though I won’t be eating poultry during the next month, I am so excited to share this recipe for Hummus-Crusted Chicken and Summer Veggies with you. I made it several times when I was a college student, so you know it can’t be that hard. Here’s a few reasons why I love this recipe so much:
- It’s a one-pan meal with minimal prep time
- It uses seasonal summer veggies (so it’s pretty cheap this time of year)
- The hummus on the chicken can be used as a delicious dipping sauce for the veggies
Feel free use homemade or store-bought hummus. You can experiment with the hummus flavors too. I’ve only ever used plain hummus, but I think it would be fantastic with a roasted red pepper hummus.
Enjoy this last meat-y dish with me. One last shout-out to all you readers out there – you are so supportive and I’m excited to share the things I cook in the month ahead with you!
- • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds)
- • 1 zucchini, chopped
- • 1 yellow squash, chopped
- • 1 onion, chopped
- • 1 garlic clove, minced
- • 1 cup hummus of your choice
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- • 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450º. Grease a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, squash, onion, garlic, olive oil, and white wine together until everything is coated with the oil-wine mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place all of the vegetables on the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer. Lay the four chicken breasts over the vegetables. Spread the hummus evenly on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven