So I’ve been pretty excited to watch this season of Downton Abbey. I loved getting to hunker down with some chai tea this morning to watch Episode 2. I won’t give any spoilers, but I have reached a few conclusions: As Toby is to The Office, Mosley is to Downton. Also, Marigold is absolutely precious.
Even if you’re not a veritable Mrs. Patmore, Lentil Barley Salad comes together easily with ingredients that you may have just sitting around your kitchen. And though it is simple, it is oh-so-delicious! I love the lemony dressing and tasty mixture of barley and lentils. It’s an awesome 2-person entrée and is a great lunch to bring to work (and it scales up really easily if you want to make enough to get you through the whole week!). I think it could also make a great side dish for grilled chicken, pork, or steak.
- • ½ cup pearled barley
- • ½ cup dried lentils
- • ¼ cup raisins
- • ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- • zest of 1 lemon
- • 2 tablespoon olive oil
- • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add 2 cups of water, the lentils, barley, and a pinch of salt to a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the grains are done.
- While the grains cook, combine the raisins, walnuts, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, parsley, and a few grinds of pepper in a medium bowl.
- When the barley and lentils are done, drain and return them to the medium pot. Add the raisin mixture from the bowl. Toss to combine. Can be served warm or at room temperature.