One-Pan Turmeric Chicken and Kale: An an easy, healthy recipe to fall back on during busy seasons. And speaking of busy seasons . . . .
I have a big announcement: Drew and I are expecting our little baby around March 2, 2017. It is surreal that I will be able to hold them in my arms two-ish weeks from now. Their woodland-themed nursery is almost complete, their car seat safety inspected, their little bassinet set up next to our bed.
To answer the baby questions:
Yes, I had morning sickness. The first 20 weeks were awful – intense aversions toward vegetables, spices, sweets to name a few. I would get nauseous when I ate too little, when I ate too much, when I moved too quickly after I ate.
No, we are not finding out the sex of the baby. In part I want to be surprised, in part I like the idea of making sure baby’s things are gender neutral since this one will hopefully not be our last child.
Onto the recipe: It’s easy. It’s paleo. You can make it in one pan. The turmeric coconut sauce may convert a kale hater (though I can’t make any promises). I know the total time is 40 minutes, but you can spend most of it away from the stove, as long as you remember to check in on everything occasionally. You can cut down on the time even more if you buy a pre-chopped bag of tuscan kale from Trader Joe’s.
Try spooning leftover turmeric sauce over a baked potato if you want to add some carbs. I’ve noticed that my local Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods have both started carrying Japanese sweet potatoes, which I’ve only ever seen in Asian markets before. They have a purple exterior and almond flesh, with a taste reminiscent of a slightly sweetened chestnut. Buy one, pop it in the oven, and drizzle the turmeric sauce over it. Your heart will sing.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 cups chopped tuscan kale, loosely packed
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, whisk the coconut milk, honey, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, and sea salt in a medium bowl. Pour over the chicken, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and place on a plate to keep warm. Add chopped kale to the turmeric coconut sauce. Return to medium-high heat and cook 8-10 minutes, or until kale is tender.
- Serve chicken thighs and kale with sauce poured on top.
Adapted from Grazed and Enthused