Hope you all had a fantastic and restful Christmas. I really enjoyed getting to see Drew and I’s families and eat lots of great food. The only disappointment I encountered was The Hobbit Part 3.
Anyway, this rice dish is great. It’s vegan and absolutely bursting with different flavors and textures. The walnuts and grapes are so good. And this is pretty healthy…so try it if you’d like to increase your veggie and whole grains intake after eating lots of indulgent holiday food.
- • 1 small yellow onion, diced
- • 1 carrot, diced
- • 1 celery stalk, diced
- • 1 cup brown rice
- • 1 tsp dried thyme
- • 1½ cups vegetable broth
- • 1 cup red grapes, halved
- • ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- • 12 oz frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- • 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Toss the broccoli with garlic and a little olive oil and spread it out on a greased baking sheet.
- Heat a 12-in skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion, carrot, celery, rice, and thyme to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vegetable broth to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cook for for 25 minutes.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook the broccoli for 10 minutes.
- Check and see if the rice is done. If it seems a little dry, give it an additional ¼ cup of water and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir the grapes and walnuts into the finished rice mixture. Mound it on two plates and top with the roasted garlic broccoli.