Okay, friends, I am going to share with you a weird habit that I’ve picked up. A few weeks ago, I had a little cold and wasn’t feeling great in the morning. I didn’t want to eat a whole breakfast, but I wanted to have something that was warm and a tiny bit substantial. I heated up chicken broth in a coffee mug in the microwave. And I drank that deliciously salty chicken broth out of the mug like I usually drink my morning coffee or tea. I liked it so much that I’ve done it several times since then. I’ve received pretty mixed reactions when I’ve told people about my new habit, but I always respond with this: Imagine you’re slurping up some Campbell’s chicken noodle soup. Now imagine it in a mug. Now imagine it with no noodles, carrots, or mysterious bits of chicken.
What do you think now? Have I converted you? I mean, I guess it’s a slightly less trendy food than bone broth, but it’s not too different in form.
And Spring Veggie, Chicken, and Quinoa Soup is a perfect spring meal that includes my new favorite breakfast drink, chicken broth. It’s warm and comforting, but still fresh and light. I love the lemony tartness!
- • 2 cups cooked quinoa
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 medium onion, diced
- • 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- • 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- • 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- • 6 cups chicken broth
- • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- • 1 medium zucchini, diced
- • 1 cup frozen peas
- • zest of one lemon
- • juice of one lemon
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and herbs de Provence and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the soup to a simmer. Add the cooked quinoa, shredded chicken, zucchini, peas, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Simmer until the peas and zucchini are cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from The Cozy Apron