Random question: Does anyone have any good beet recipes? I bought some beets a little while ago to make rosemary beet chips and they were a total disaster because I don’t have a mandolin and did a poor job making perfect thin slices through the rock-head beets. I’ve still got some leftover beets and am so indecisive about what to try to make with them, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
These Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos are super delicious. I think honey, lime and cilantro are the best combination ever. I’ve made these before with some corn in addition to the sweet potatoes and black beans. I just throw it in the skillet with the black beans. And I love the cilantro lime crema. For some reason, I rarely add sour cream to Mexican food, but if it’s a crema flavored with cilantro, jalapenos, lime, adobo, etc. I’m all in. Flavorful, healthy, home-cooked tacos. What more could you ask for?
- For the Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos:
- • 1½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes (approx. 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 1 teaspoon paprika
- • ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- • 1 small onion, diced
- • 1 clove of garlic, minced
- • 1 14-oz can of black beans, drained
- • 3 tablespoons honey
- • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- • Corn or flour tortillas
- For the Cilantro Lime Crema:
- • ⅔ cup cilantro
- • 2 cloves garlic
- • ½ cup plain yogurt
- • ¼ cup sour cream
- • ¼ teaspoon salt
- • ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- • zest of one lime
- • juice of ½ a lime
- • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- For the Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos: Preheat the oven to 425º. Line a baking sheet with foil or a silpat. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss evenly to coat. Sprinkle evenly with cumin, paprika, and chili powder and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the black beans and honey. Heat until warmed through. Toss in the roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro.
- For the Cilantro Lime Crema: Pulse the cilantro and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the yogurt, sour cream, salt, pepper, lime, and olive oil, then process until smooth.
- To Serve: Serve the sweet potato black bean filling over warm tortillas with desired toppings. Drizzle with the cilantro lime crema.
Adapted from Cooking Classy and Cookbooks 365.